Getting consistent high-quality sleep is something many of us ignore as an important part of a healthy lifestyle. But it’s vital we don’t neglect our sleep. When we sleep, our body heals, our nervous system rests and our brain detoxes. If we have poor quality sleep on a regular basis it can affect our hormones, mood, increase weight gain and so much more.
Many of my clients consider sleep a nuisance and make up for their lack of sleep by fuelling on energy drinks, coffee and sugar to keep them energised throughout the day which eventually leads to burn out and a whole host of health problems.
We want to be aiming for between 7-9 hours of good quality sleep each night to improve our health. Some simple tools to help you achieve this, include:
1. Regulating your sleep/wake cycle – going to sleep and waking up at the same time every day is crucial for your body to regulate its’ circadian rhythm and helps you fall asleep much easier each night.
2. Journal before bed – clearing your mind before you sleep is one of the best things you can do to help yourself fall asleep easily on a night. Write down everything on your mind just before you get into bed to help declutter your mind and release worries and stress.
3. Engage in light movement before bed – yoga and slow stretching has been shown to increase relaxation and improve sleep quality. 10 minutes before bed can really help you to wind down and release the stress from the day.
4. Drink herbal teas – drinking herbs teas such as chamomile has been shown to help relax the body and help with falling asleep.
5. Get outside – by getting natural light each day, you are helping your body set its’ circadian rhythm which will help to regulate your sleep/wake cycle.
Improve the quality of your sleep and improve your mood, appetite control, stress response and so much more!