Throughout Chinese medicine, Ayurveda and many other alternative medicine protocols it has been demonstrated that incorrect ‘food combining’ can result in an acidic, unbalanced body. It is therefore deal that you understand what food combining is, and how to properly use it in your everyday life.
So first, what is food combining? Food combining is based on the basic principle that certain food groups digest better with each other and that there are other food groups that don’t.. hence the indigestion..
First things first, let’s break down the food combining groups so you know what I’m talking about later on…
· Lean proteins: fish and poultry, low-fat dairy and protein powders
· Starches and starchy proteins: potatoes and sweet potatoes, beetroots, parsnips, carrots, pumpkin and squash, beans, lentils, peas, tofu
· Fats and fatty proteins: olive oil and olives, nuts and seeds, avocados, butter, cheese, yogurt, eggs, fatty fish, poultry and meat
· Greens and non-starchy vegetables: sprouts, celery, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, onion, garlic, mushrooms, green beans, leafy greens
· Fruit: limes and lemons, grapefruit, oranges, tomatoes, strawberries, pineapples, apples, berries, pears, apricots, peaches, grapes, mangoes, papayas, figs, bananas, dates, dried fruits and fruit juice
· Sweeteners: sugars, honey, syrups.
1. Eat fruit on an empty stomach. Fruit is often served as a dessert straight after a cooked main meal but this causes bloating and indigestion as the sugars in the fruit attempt to digest quickly but are slowed down by the previous meal. Fruit is best eaten first thing in the morning.
2. Starch and protein should be eaten separately as they digest differently. This is due to starch breaking down in the mouth as opposed to protein breaking down in the gastrointestinal tract. Therefore when starch and protein are eaten together, the starch will remain in the stomach acid and begin to ferment while the body digests the protein and fat.
3. Avoid proteins with other proteins, fats and fruits, starches with other starches, proteins and fruits and fats with proteins and fruits.
The most important thing is to ensure you are balancing your body and creating an alkaline environment so your digestive system stays fired up and active. This will also enable you to eat more food combinations. Listen to your body and you will learn which combinations work for you and which don’t.